Thursday, February 11, 2016

A Day in the Life {2.11.16}

For Christmas this year, my sweet mama gifted me a kindle! I am loving having a library at my fingertips! I stumbled upon an author named Kim Abernethy who wrote 2 memoirs (In this Place & In Every Place). In her books, she chronicles her life serving in West Africa with her husband and 3 daughters. I loved her candidness and transparency as she shares the good moments, hard moments, and even scary times in her journey. Her books were so fun, encouraging and faith building. I wish I had kept a journal of our time here in Malawi starting at the beginning.  It made me  want to make sure I am recording the mundane, every day things so that I can look on them with fond memories one day. So, I thought it would be fun to start today!

2.11.16

Since we have lived in Malawi, my kids have had quite the collection of unique animals. Once the locals find out that you're on a hunt for a pet, the knocks on the gate will begin. I guess it's a good opportunity to make a little cash on critters that are found wandering around the village. So far, the kids have been the proud owners of 3 hedgehogs, 4 chameleons, 1 dog, 3 laying hens, 4 turtles, 2 inherited turkeys, several crabs, and a plethora of random grasshoppers, butterflies and water bugs. The animals have taught the kids responsibility and what happens when you neglect your animal. It's also taught them that some things just belong free and were not made for captivity. Through all the lessons, the "pets" have provided lots of entertainment.

Our old kitchen table (before we bought one from our missionary friends that transitioned back to the States) was unfinished wood. So, I would cover it with a piece of cloth and then overlay that with a piece of clear plastic so that we could wipe off the table. One day, I noticed Asher (then age 4-5) talking to the plastic as she was shoving her hand between the cloth and the clear plastic. I asked her what she was doing and she informed me that she was talking to her pets. In exploring  little more, I realized that Asher's "pets" were tiny little bugs that she was finding outside. She was storing them on our kitchen table between the cloth and plastic. That day we had a good conversation on what counted as "pets" and what did not. We also talked about what kinds of things only have homes outside.

Along with some interesting and harmless pets, we have also been offered some strange and unusual pets. One day a boy came to the gate asking for Grainger (he is the animal lover). He brought in a cup with some "animals" inside, when he turned the cup over, 3 large scorpions came out and scooted all along our porch with their pinchers clapping. I did put  my foot down on that purchase (thankfully none of my 4 were to interested in having scorpions for pets). The boys left with his scorpions and was disappointed he was not able to make a sale that day.



No comments :

 
Blogging tips