Naming babies in Malawi is a little different than how we might name our young ones in America. Traditionally, the first Malawian baby is named by the father or someone the father chooses. The babies born after the first, can be named by the mother. When babies are born at the hospital, which is strongly encouraged (with a fine if you don't) a name must be picked for the baby before the mom is discharged.
Recently, a Malawian dad came to the gate and informed me that he wanted me to name their first baby! I wasn't sure he was serious until the next day, during a glorious Sunday afternoon nap, when I received several frantic texts. "Come on! The family is all waiting for you to come and name the baby." So I jumped up and grabbed my sister and 2 daughters and went to their house. We were warmly greeted by the father, the mother, a sister, and a neighbor who were seated on the grass mat inside the home. We got to cuddle with the most gorgeous little babe who was a mere 2 days old.
I originally had picked the name "Noah", but learned there was another boy in the village with that name. When my 8 year old heard the baby's last name was George, she offered up the name "Curious". The family was really contemplating that name and I had to steer them away much to my giggling daughter's dismay. We offered the name "Jude" but with the accent here, it sounded more like "Judy". The family finally agreed on the name "Jonah" after we explained how Jonah was a picture of Jesus' death and resurrection (3 days in the whale). I was so worried that the mom might not like the name I had chosen. I wanted to make sure she actually wanted to call her kid by that name for the rest of his life. Names are a big deal! Can you imagine letting a foreign woman whom you never met to come name your baby? Fortunately, after offering several names, she seemed happy with the name "Jonah".
Sometimes babies here are named Lonely or Trouble depending on what circumstances the mother was going through when she became pregnant. I have been trying to pick a good strong Biblical name to really speak to the baby's future and how God views the child as a blessing!
We have also had the delight of naming the foster baby that we cared for last year. We were surprised to learn that the family respected the name and kept it even after he was moved out of our home. I have also had the great honor of having one of our staff' member naming his last born after me. I cried when he came to tell me his daughter's name. That was the first time anyone had named their child after me! It was really special and encouraging to me!
{a sweet baby from the village}
Any topics you are curious about that you'd like to see on a Malawi Monday?





1 comment :
Beautiful! So interesting to learn about how babies are named. It's not something that would typically show up in a history/geography textbook. :)
Post a Comment