Monday, August 18, 2014

Water {Malawi Monday}

I knew I would have talk about water at some point on Malawi Mondays because spending a lot of time at the well is definitely a big part of Malawian culture (as well as many other countries).


I admit I haven't spent most of my life giving too much of a thought to water. 

If, I was thirsty, there was always clean water flowing freely from my faucets. 
Water in the shower, water in the washing machine, cold water spraying out of my refrigerator. 
I even had a bed made of water back in the 80's. 


I drank it with confidence, never a thought that I, or my kids could become sick from the drink.



Gathering water never took too much of my time or encompassed a large portion of my day. 

Here, it is not the case. Multiple trips to the well have to occur each day. 



To wash clothes, cook, clean, bathe, and to offer to parched lips.



It is a family event, a social gathering, a rite of passage for little ones to be "big enough" to help.



It is a serious work out!
   

So many Bible stories come alive as I watch the women congregate at the well!

"Jesus answered her, All who drink of this water will be thirsty again. But whoever takes a drink of the water that I will give him shall never, no never, be thirsty any more. But the water that I will give him shall become a spring of water welling up within him until eternal life."  John 4:13-14

3 comments :

Misty Rae Drain said...

You continue to amaze and inspire me. I posted a link on my Facebook page but if you would like to inbox me actual needs, I would love to share them with our church. Be blessed sweet sister. ;)

Catherine said...

Thank you so much sweet Misty! I sent you a PM! At the top of our blog under "ministry" we have some links to ways anyone can partner with us!

Jen and Richard said...

Something so beautiful about the labor of love that has to occur with each trip to the well. Thank you for sharing your life in Malawi.

 
Blogging tips