Monday, May 26, 2014

Soap {Malawi Mondays}

One day, I saw one of our community boys walking home from school in the middle of the day. 
When I questioned him where he was going, he told me that his teacher had sent him home from school because he was dirty. 

I also had children periodically missing tutoring classes. 
When I would probe them as to where they had been, they often would respond, 
"my clothes were dirty". 
"We don't care if you are dirty, you're always welcome here," I would quickly reply back.

I didn't get it...


When you have no soap to wash your uniform, you can't attend school.

When you only have one pair of pants/dress and they are being washed....you're kinda stuck from going anywhere.

Soap daily affects our kids lives.




Once we were aware of how big an impact the lack of soap was having in our kids day to day living, we decided we MUST do something about it. 


So now, each Saturday, we are giving soap tablets to all the children we serve in our program. 

The kids NEVER forget to grab their soap before they leave. 

SO simple, but SO needed.

Clean clothes, clean bodies, more opportunities.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

We are spoiled in America with so many luxuries... Soap being one of them. What a wonderful gift each week to these precious children and families!

 
Blogging tips