See, before we relocated our family {to the other side of the world}, a few well meaning people suggested that what we were doing was actually going to harm our children.
Satan LOVES to use seemingly "harmless" comments to fester in my mind until they seem to take over every thought. And I HATE that I let him do that to me.
Here's a little smorgasbord of thoughts that have been popping up lately in this ol' brain of mine:
"Man, my kids are really missing out. Baseball season has started and it looks like we will never.play.again!" (dramatic hunh?)
"my girls seriously would LOVE gymnastics, too bad we'll never be able to go to lessons"
"all of our friends are "graduating" to the next grade with cute diplomas and character awards to boot. My kids are stuck with me for a teacher in a class of 1."
"our cousins are on swim team this year, it'll be a miracle if we remember how to swim next time we get to the water.
"wow, every parent on Facebook is taking their kids on special field trips, playgroup dates, and enrichment activities. I don't think my kids have left the compound in a week."
and on and on.....it becomes really easy for my brain to throw a pity party about how deprived my kids are. When the brain goes, then my attitude goes. It ain't pretty.
And then, I have to remind myself that Satan is a big fat liar! I have to make an effort to preach some truth to myself.
Because in reality, this is what I honestly believe and am trusting God for with my kids:
my kids are getting to experience another culture, which is really cool.
my kids get to see people worship God who don't look like them, talk like them, worship like them or think like them. they are learning that God loves ALL people and speaks ALL languages.
we hope that our kids will learn that when you read the Bible and love Jesus, it requires an action.
they get to see the Bible come alive here on a daily basis- widow's mite, woman at the well, prayer meetings that last all night, people who trust Jesus for every basic need.
they are growing a deep compassion as they play with friends who go home to a drastically different living conditions then what they (my boys) have ever seen before.
they are learning that they have a roll of caring for the orphan and the widow.....even at 4,6,8 and 9.
they are learning that when you follow Christ (oh so imperfectly) that there is sacrifice, but deep blessing.
they are learning that sometimes it stinks to be the only person in a group who "sticks out" and hopefully that will develop into a compassion to include all.
they are learning to become each others best friends (slllowwwwly but surely)
So, even if we are missing out in cheering for our favorite catcher this season, I am trusting God that He will use this time in their lives to develop fruit in them that will last for eternity.




11 comments :
I love this post! Sometimes I feel that way only the opposite...like my kids really need to see and know what life is like for others. To have them understand that not every kids gets these opportunities to swim and play sports. Your kids will look back at the memories made and have something most people/kids will never experience or understand. :) Keep looking up!
Love this, friend. You are giving them something that they will be able to treasure for the rest of their lives. They are watching you live out Christ's love in ACTION not just words... I'm so proud of you!!!
Thanks for the encouragement girls! You know how the grass always seems "greener" on the other side? Yup, that plagues me sometimes. Learning daily that my feelings don't equal truth :)
I appreciate your honesty Catherine... Seems like here in the states we have the opposite problem, kids are sooooo busy with all the extra activities that there is no time to serve, get involved in church, ect....Your kids are doing stuff that matters for eternity and for the next generation:) Plus your family is doing God's will...no better place to be. God will bless you and meet their every need. I will pray for you that The Lord will help you fight these thoughts. Love you!
Hey cat-I know those thoughts. Mine go "my sister(s) is a missionary. Am I doing anything that really matters here in my life that can begin to compare?!. Also-swim team is crazy. There are 100 kids in the pool at a time. Not as neat as it sounds :)
Kim, thanks so much pointing me to truth! Love you friend!
Love you Mar! the 100 kids in the pool might give me some anxiety #oncealifeguardalwaysalifeguard :)
Believe me, Catherine, they are not missing out on anything but busy-ness. And not only that, but when you spend this much time together, you come to realize, "Hey, I not only love my kids, I LIKE them!" Nothing beats liking your kids, which, in turn, makes them enjoy being with you and David. Don't trade it for anything. :-)
Kim B., love that encouragement and I love how you have done that with your kids and have such a special relationship with your young adults. I want to be just like you!
Catherine, How awesome that you are giving up these worldly passing pleasures for the Kingdom of God. You'll never regret it. Don't feel bad, we live in NA and don't do all that you mentioned, by choice. We are far too busy in our crazy culture! Bless you and your family.
Thank you for this! I know I can get frustrated with ungratefulness in my kids but honestly I take this blessed/spoiled life for granted a lot of the time too. It can be hard to step back & remember the Giver of it all. I think you are giving your kids the gift of a truer perspective of the world & what matters for eternity!
Post a Comment