Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Schoolin'

Well, I figured today was as good a day as any to put up our "first day of school" seventh week of school photos!
 
It feels SO good to type out those words (seven.weeks!)
Last year, I think we hit week 7 in December.
 



 
A few lessons I have learned (the hard way) last year that I am trying (imperfectly) to improve on this year....
 
> Don't let the clock dictate life. We'll get done when we get done!
> Relationship over work.
 A lesson can be done (or not) another day, maintaining my relationship with my kid is most important.
> Let them go! My oldest has always had a voracious reading appetite. He always is reading ahead. Last year I was afraid he would read out of order or not have anything left to do after Christmas. This year I am just letting him go and happy for his love of books. On the opposite, one of my children can't keep up with the reading. I am giving myself (and child) freedom to slow down and not stress over checking it all off, but doing what is best for each child.
> Momma must spend some face to face time with Jesus before spending it with kids.
> It's ok to go outside the lesson plan and tweak things to suit our interests!
> Don't compare child to child. They are each learning at their own pace and that is ok!
> deep breathes, choose joy, enjoy it
> some days, you may just need to close up the books and try again another day.
 
 
Some days teaching your own kids is tough, but I am trying to remind myself (sometimes hourly) that these days are passing by at warp speed. I can look at these pictures above and see all these permanent teeth growing in, and compare them to last year, and gasp at the changes that have occurred right under my nose in one quick year. I don't want to wish away any minutes, even the hard ones.
 
Any other homeschooling mommas out there? What are your favorite lessons you've learned the hard way?

No comments :

 
Blogging tips